Saturday, November 2, 2013

Chai - Indian masala tea #vegan

When people hear about going vegan, the first thing they think of in India is - 'How will I have my tea now??' Dont underestimate the charm and the 'necessity' of animal milk tea to Indians. Chai could easily be termed as India's favourite pastime!

I discovered this PERFECT alternative to 'milk' tea for my Mum, because I wanted her to go vegan and get rid of all her diseases. She was hung-up on tea (like most Indians are!) and so I figured that if CASHEW milk was added to tea, it tasted the SAME as cow/buffalo milk tea!! And how can I not mention the cost - cashew milk is Rs.40 a litre, just as much as animal milk!

Cashew milk is nothing but cashews (soaked for 2-3 hours is best) and blended in a blender with some water. I sometimes dont even soak them, lazy me! Usually I take 10-12 cashews and if in hot weather I wish to soak them overnight then I put them in the fridge. Making a thick consistency ie making cashew cream instead of cashew milk by putting very little water while blending, is better. This is because as it doesnt affect the temperature of the tea when you add it, as most people like their tea piping hot. It takes a minute or two to make, needs no boiling whatsoever and lasts for at least 3 days in the fridge in the autumn weather (in India). Store it in the freezer in summer and thaw it for 10-15 minutes before making tea. And the best part is - it makes at least 10 cups of tea!

For a cup of tea, take a cup of water, add cardamom or grated ginger or any other flavouring if you wish to, and bring it to a boil. Then add half a teaspoon of tea leaves and let it boil for another minute. Then switch off the gas and add a teaspoon of cashew cream (add less or more depending on how milky you like your tea), add sugar to taste, stir & sieve. Chai is ready! 

This tea has been tested by many non-vegans and proven to be 100% same! Enjoy a cruelty-free lifestyle without any compromise in taste :)

How much money do we spend on cashews when compared to animal milk? So we have to buy a minimum of half a litre of 'milk', boil it for 10 mins and it lasts for a day or two in the fridge. When I was non-vegan, we used to spend Rs.500 on animal milk every month, not forgetting Rs.500 on other animal products and at least another Rs.500-1000 on medical bills every month. Now we spend Rs.500 for a kg of cashews which last us 6 months, along with absolutely NO medical expenses at all! So take your pick :)





1 comment:

  1. I will try this over weekend..Thank you so much for posting !

    ReplyDelete